AJ Ericksen's Blog World

Friday, October 21

Barkley on the NBA Dress Code

On Leno (I don't watch him. I read it on ESPN.), Charles Barkley made perhaps the best statement in favor of the new NBA dress code:
Young black kids dress like NBA players. Unfortunately, they don't get paid like NBA players. So when they go out in the real world, what they wear is held against them.

See, these players make $10 million to $15 million a year, so nobody cares how they dress. But regular black kids go out into the real world and how they dress is held against them.

If a well-dressed white kid and a black kid wearing a do-rag and throwback jersey came to me in a job interview, I'd hire the white kid. That's reality. That's the No. 1 reason I support the dress code.
Of course, as I write this I am observing an extremely rare casual morning at the office -- jeans, button-down, and a blazer -- observed only by a handful of associates who are (1) going on a retreat this afternoon, (2) not meeting with clients this morning, and (3) not uncomfortable walking around the office that way. I'm a bit uncomfortable like this, so I'm keeping a low profile.

2 Comments:

  • Dude... casual wear includes a blazer? Do you normally have to wear coat & tie?

    By Anonymous Micah P, at 10/21/2005 12:18 PM  

  • We normally wear jackets (ties for clients only) except in the office. But jeans are so rare, that I actually felt less comfortable rather than more. It's pretty sad.

    By Blogger AJE, at 10/23/2005 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home