AJ Ericksen's Blog World

Tuesday, April 5

What is --- ?

I am trying out for Jeopardy tomorrow morning in Houston. Please, for me, cross your fingers, etc.

Update (6 April): The tryout ended up being quite fun. I arrived to a lobby full of nerds--If there were any X-Files questions, I would have been toast. We waited for 15 or 20 minutes before getting in. I found a pretty cute blonde in line in a grey suit with a Louis Vuitton purse and tried to chat her up. "Sure is a geeky looking crowd," I said. She laughed.

Then we headed into a large conference room. In all, there were about 110 people. The Jeopardy folks gave their spiel about the game, and then the test commenced.

There were 50 fill-in-the-blank questions; you had to write your answer within 8 seconds of Johnny Gilbert's voice finishing the question.

And then the grading began. I continued talking to the blonde, a lawyer working for a federal judge. When I'm not trying to hook up with them, I'm pretty good with women. The Tao of Steve, I guess.

When the answer sheets were checked, only 5 people passed. And wouldn't you know it, yours truly was among them. Then we 5 participated in a mock game, complete with interviews. A lawyer, a paralegal, a cable salesman, a homemaker, and I comprised the group. They were all nice folks, but I think I had more personality. I didn't, however, use my pat answer for what I would do with the money--What is hookers and cocaine?--but I was still pretty funny.

Anyway, the result is that I'm now "in the file" for the next year and may be called for a taping. So please continue crossing those fingers.

3 Comments:

  • Good luck! That's really cool...if I were to try out for a game show, I'd be all over Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

    By Blogger Annie, at 4/05/2005 11:14 PM  

  • That's awesome. I'm sure you'll get called up. I was talking to a guy at a party last year who had been on Jeopardy. He said a lot of the game was ringing in first—he knew most of the questions but wasn't accurate enough on the buzzer. I think your hand-eye coordination from summers of video games gives you the upper hand on this one.

    By Blogger Eric, at 4/07/2005 11:17 AM  

  • Be careful though, not to be too premature - i.e. pushing the button before the question is finished, turning off the PS2 before the game's done saving - Trebek will lock your @$$ out for a few seconds if you get all premature.

    By Blogger Torry, at 4/07/2005 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home