AJ Ericksen's Blog World

Thursday, August 26

Wyoming

During my blogging hiatus, I did, among other things, some backpacking in Wyoming with a few of my friends from college.

Here's me:
Me, looking extremely manly

My friends:
L to R: Eric, Paul, Torry, Don

We only hiked a few miles before discovering a fantastic campsite by Divide Lake. The hammock trees were abundant, and we came equipped to take advantage. The lake was cold, the days mild, the firewood plenty, and the naps frequent. In the three days we spent at that spot, we couldn't have seen more than eight other people. It was fantastic!

Good taste prevents me from showing a picture of the exceptionally luxurious latrine we constructed. But here is a picture of the view from sitting on the john:

The soothing imagery makes just makes every movement that much nicer.

Camping makes you feel much tougher. It's good to make nature your bitch for a while.

And that feeling was needed. En route to the wilderness, we stopped in Rock Springs for a final meal that wouldn't require rehydration. Rock Springs doesn't exactly have a lot of good restaurants, so we settled on Applebee's.

We managed to get a table next to some mean looking bikers who were devouring lots of chicken wings and beer. Wanting something fresh before beginning the beef jerky and granola diet, we decided on salads. The waitress took my friends' orders: light quesadilla, Asian chicken salad, Caesar salad, half size Caesar. Then it came to me. She stared at me, saying with her eyes, "So, are you a salad eating, too, punk?" I gulped. "A chicken salad," I mumbled. "Do you want me to see if we have bottled water guys?" she asked, taunting.

We had been completely emasculated by the waitress (and by Eric's constant text messaging of his girlfriend in the car).

5 Comments:

  • Lay off my boy, a$$hole.

    From, Julia.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/26/2004 7:20 PM  

  • I take that back, you are forgiven. Eric has just informed me that you are also morally opposed to mayonnaise.
    - Julia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/26/2004 7:27 PM  

  • From The Royal Tenenbaums (I'm playing the part of Royal.):

    Royal : I've always been considered an asshole for about as long as I can remember. That's just my style. But I'd really feel blue if I didn't think you were going to forgive me.

    Henry Sherman : I don't think you're an asshole, Royal. I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch.

    Royal : Well, I really appreciate that.

    By Blogger AJE, at 8/26/2004 8:32 PM  

  • You have friends?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2004 12:26 PM  

  • Rock Springs has better eating than Applebee's. You got ripped off and the waitress ate your lunch.

    Next time, eat at Grub's or The Bagel Factory. We're pretty nice here, just ask a local, we'll get you some good food and you won't have to eat at a job stealing, corporate sponsored "seen-one-seen-them-all" restaurant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2005 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home