AJ Ericksen's Blog World

Wednesday, July 21

Selling Out

For a long time, I took great pride in being able to say that I was the only person downtown who had never been to a Starbucks. I dreaded the place. To go there is to take one giant step along the path toward becoming a bona fide yuppie, complete with knowledge of trendy restaraunts and a BMW.

Anyway, on the way back from lunch in the tunnels, my coworkers decided to grab some Starbucks on the way to the office. For about a minute, I stood in the doorway, contemplating whether I could place an order through them and, thus, technically avoid being a Starbucks customer.

But when I started getting funny looks and being unable to explain my position, I caved. I stepped inside and ordered a cranberry bar.

I feel so dirty.

6 Comments:

  • So when are you going to start using a mac? How about turtle necks, are you going to start wearing them this winter?

    By Blogger mark, at 7/21/2004 2:12 PM  

  • I don't know what I'll wear in the winter. I guess it kind of all depends on the J.Crew catalog.

    By Blogger AJE, at 7/21/2004 3:59 PM  

  • Hey, once you're a rich lawyer, you can afford an expensive dog and enter it into the Westminster Kennel Club show at MSG.

    Faced with the same situation, I think I'd save face and coolness points and just say "No thanks, I'm going to head across the street to McDonald's for a 99 cent sundae." Of course, I have now put some forethought into it. I'm lovin' it.

    By Blogger Torry, at 7/21/2004 8:30 PM  

  • What is so bad about Starbucks? I wouldn't consider it "selling out", especially when you're not even buying the overpriced coffee.
    btw, what is a cranberry bar?

    By Blogger Kristen Glenn, at 7/21/2004 9:34 PM  

  • It was kind of like a lemon bar, but with cranberry. Nevermind that I didn't have overpriced coffee, the point is that I compromised one of my principles.

    By Blogger AJE, at 7/21/2004 9:48 PM  

  • Having lived in one of the many Land(s) of Starbucks, aka Boston, it's not so bad to go inside a Starbucks. You should try their "Strawberries Cream" drink. While there is no coffee in it, it is certainly addicting....

    By Blogger Annie, at 7/22/2004 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home