AJ Ericksen's Blog World

Saturday, April 17

I Hate "Fun" Runs and Fun Runners

The Texas Round-Up took place today. The confounded event ostensibly was to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. A few things happened:

1. Diabetes was not Cured.

2. No more money was raised by running that would have been raised by soliciting straight cash donations.

3. Thousands of people who had to get somewhere were horribly inconvenienced by the self-indulgent do-gooders running the race and the horribly incompetent Austin police.

I was one of the screwed-over motorists.

It being a nice Saturday, my roommates and I decided it would be a good idea to grab a burger at Burger Tex, the finest Korean burger joint ever. According to Mapquest, from my door to theirs is 1.69 miles and takes 4 minutes. And it took about that long to get there.

After lunch however, so these assholes could run around feeling good about themselves, the city shut down Guadalupe (major north-south downtown street) and Congress (another big north-south). Additionally, every important east-west route was closed. As a convenience, no signs were posted with information about what was closed or which alternate routes to take. Kudos to the no-talent ass clowns in city management.

Anyway, to make a long story short, getting home to my toilet (Burger Tex burgers are really greasy and succulent) required 14 changes of direction, 11 additional miles of travel, immeasurable aggravation, and took 1 hour and 37 minutes! At times, I wanted to park my car, walk home, and pick it up tomorrow. However, there was no parking either. Aside from ever leaving my apartment today, my only other regret is not loudly booing the runners as they passed by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home